Tuesday 4 March 2014

Churning over the Churn Dash

I loaded this quilt a few days ago and have been pondering over it ever since.  It was made by my lovely friend Eve, who initially said just do an edge to edge on it.  However, I couldn't help but feel that it would be much lovelier custom quilted.  Eve brought over the pattern book for us to look and and we agreed that custom would be much better.  Now to figure out what!!  Talk about being indecisive.

This is the quilt loaded and waiting for me to get inspired!


The quilt is made of individual churn dash blocks, but with clever placement of the dark blocks, they form another large churn dash in the body of the quilt.  I felt that this large churn dash needed to be highlighted as it was the focal point of the quilt.  Last night I finally had a few small brainwaves...I photocopied in black and white the quilt picture in the pattern book and then used that to draw some designs on it.

This is my final look, although I was a bit lazy and didnt redo the outer blocks.  I tried two different versions, one with straight ruler work, the other with some background filler and just ditch quilting the corner small churn dash to echo the main design element.  What do you think?


I am quite pleased with the look of feathering the large churn dash.  Not keen on the lines like in the lefthand corner, but happy with the look of the right hand corner.  Little hard to see I'm sorry.

Now to get to it and do it!!!

Thanks for visiting, and look forward to seeing you again soon.

Blessings
Clare




1 comment: